Sunday, August 4, 2013

Garden Update

Well here is August. We scaled back on the garden this year, planting only one bed fully and adding a pumpkin plant in the middle bed.
The reason for scaling back?
That'd be me, 6 months pregnant.  I found out after having planned out this year's garden, . Not wanting a repeat of 2010 (where I'd already planted all 3 beds fully before finding out I was pregnant with G), we immediately changed plans.

But we've taken in a decent amount already. About 6 zucchini and an equal number of squash and 4 cucumbers.  But the real winner this year, so far, is the pumpkin plant.

He's about half the length of the bed already and has overflowed on both sides.  So far I've counted 5 pumpkins on the vine, with more blossoms appearing, including this big boy.
It's going to be a fun Halloween.

Saturday, May 18, 2013


After the wettest April on record, I finally got into the garden today.

For better or worse, it wasn't for the landscaping plans we had drawn up.  Instead, I decided to mulch and plant out the bed under our river birch clump.

Four years ago we had planted a few plants there - one lavender, two Russian sage, one prairie star - with the intention of planting more.


So!  Today I went thru the bed, weeded, added mulch, and then went to the garden center.  My inspiration was this post from Fennel and Fern.  I loved the idea of using only a few plants to create texture.

So I ended up with more lavender, cranesbill geranium and dwarf fountain grass.

Obviously on a much smaller scale though.  You can see that original lavender plant up front.  So I added 6 more of that (2 up front by the other lavender, 4 in the back row), 3 of the geranium and 3 of the fountain grass (that's G peeking out between the trees. he's 2 1/2 now).

It is harder to create the close plantings in the original photo because of the river birch's roots.  But if these plants fill in as much as the lavender, it should look lovely.  I may eventually try and add more of the geranium and fountain grass, but we'll see.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Looking forward for 2013

So, last year one thing I didn't mention is that we had landscaping plans drawn up for the backyard by a local Landscape Artist.  The reason I didn't mention it is because we had a massive drought last year, so we didn't do anything with the plan.

In the meantime, we've had a chance to pour over the plan and make changes and adjustments on our own.  So here's what we're looking at:

Our focus is going to be on the west side of the yard this year.  Diggers Hotline came today to mark electrical lines.  This coming weekend we're going to be transplanting the apple tree and probably digging out and potentially transplanting the shrub clump to the west of the patio before the ticket "expires".

Other yard to-do items that I can think of off the top of my head:
  • thatching
  • aerating
  • seeding
  • garage organizing
  • yard sale
And, of course, the mutant veggie garden.  We're down to about 2 gallons of tomato sauce and pulled out the last bag of salsa just this week.

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Tomato Harvest Summary

So, the week of September 9th we harvested 150 tomatoes.  I turned the previous week's harvest into 3 quarts of sauce, which made for nearly 3 GALLONS this year.

The following week we harvested 100 more.

And then 87 the next, which saw the end of the growing season.  I ended up turning about half into more sauce.

Four plants.  Four freaking roma tomato plants.  685 tomatoes.  That roughly 171 lbs of tomatoes (figuring 4oz per tomato).  We have over 5 gallons of sauce in the freezer.

I am willing to sell our garden dirt to the highest bidder.  Just sayin'.

Saturday, September 1, 2012

More veggies. Help me.

So, we had so much produce on hand that I had to just turn the tomatoes straight into sauce.

I mean, we love tomatoes, but there's no way we could eat over 100 in a week.  And we would have had to.

Because here's what we harvested this week.
That's my kitchen sink full to the top.  236 tomatoes (yes, I counted).  In one week. 

Send help.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

August Harvests

So, this year we scaled back. Our freezer is still fairly full from the previous year's harvest. So we only planted 4 tomato plants, 2 tomatillo plants, 2 pepper plants, 2 cucumber plants, 1 jalapeno plant, 1 squash plant, 1 zucchini plant and 1 eggplant plant.

But we still wanted fresh veggies, right?  And maybe to put away some.

Didn't help. Here's the haul from the 16th:
And then from today:
This week's harvest includes 86 tomatoes, 52 jalapeƱos, 20 tomatillos. Total produce on hand: 112 tomatoes, 120 jalapeƱos (let me reiterate: ONE plant), 20 tomatillos, 8 peppers, 9 cukes, 5 squash, 2 zukes, 2 eggplant.

We're so screwed.

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Baby robins

We have a nest of baby robins in our river birch clump.

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Salvia, birds, happy dogs and trees

The perennial dwarf salvia we planted in our planter has really flourished
The finches really love it, too.
Taking flight
Happy dogs lounging

The maple tree
The linden

Saturday, June 16, 2012

My roses

So, in 2009 I posted about these surprising roses in our fireplace bed.

In 2010 we revamped the bed, which included making those roses a focal piece.

Well.  Look at them now!

Monday, April 30, 2012

Spring Garden Prep

Someone's helping Dad get ready for the spring

April yard photos


Organic lawncare FTW!

Related Posts with Thumbnails