The Whole Yard

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Winter Doldrums

January 1st and I'm already dreaming of gardening. We had a 50F day before Christmas and I immediately thought of planting things. But I won't be able to do that for another 5 months. So I've been consoling myself by making to-scale landscape plans and reading thru my new "Perennials of Wisconsin and Minnesota" book.

Reflecting on the past year, we got a LOT done with the yard. We transplanted 2 apple trees, planted 2 shade trees, re-landscaped the bean bed, cleaned up the front walkway, enclosed the compost bin, etc. All among growing a 780 square foot vegetable garden and basic yard upkeep (and, you know, things not involving the yard).

Looking forward to the next year, we need to do some planting out front. I also want to power-wash the trellis on the deck. But I'd really like to focus on some larger-scale landscaping - putting in paths, small patios, sitting areas, etc.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails