Sunday, May 2, 2010

Fireplace Bed is DONE!

This particular item has been on the to-do list for two years now.  The bed always starts off pretty in spring and then goes to hell quickly.


So, we decided to revamp the bed.  The difficulty was that the bedding was little rocks, which had to be removed before anything was planted.  All the old plants had to be removed and sorted.  And, lastly, there was a tree that had started growing along the foundation that needed to be destroyed.  I had cut the tree down but the stump still needed to be removed.  And all of that even before things were planted.

In all, it was a daunting project to start.  But we decided today that now was as good a time as any.

First, the stumps were removed:


Then the stones were removed and dumped out back.  All of that work apparently scared up some ground bees.  I'm utterly terrified of bees, so I layed out the plants and let Eric do the planting.  The end result:



In the bed went hostas, native columbine, bellflower and bee balm.  Feels really good to have that done.  It'll be nice to see things bloom this summer.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails