The Whole Yard

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Garage Bed Renovation

Do we all remember when Eric dug up all my hollyhocks? Let us revisit.

Before:

After:

Yes. So after that he was forbidden from dealing with the garage bed. But he swore that we would re-vamp it this year. Me? I wanted to re-plant all the hollyhocks he dug up. So, it made it's way onto this year's task list. And, really, that's a good thing, because here's a close-up shot of one end:


See all the grass? Yeah. That's not supposed to be there! About two weeks ago I started removing the landscaping stones as preparation for digging/edging the bed. On Saturday I went out and started edging the bed. Eric took photos while I worked and the dog looked cute.


This is the general template - edging out the border to line up with the small brick patio off the garage door.


After a couple hours, a large rain storm, and a trip around town hunting down leveling sand later, the finished product:



It looks a bit dirty but it's such an amazing improvement. Last Friday I bought a 'zebrina' mallow and a 'nigra' hollyhock plant and put them in the bed. This weekend I'll be buying some creeping thyme and phlox to help fill in the gaps (our local nursery is running a special on perennials - buy 3 get the 4th free. rawk).

1 comment:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

That looks really great. We are considering edging our bed with bricks.. I like the look.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails